Utility Workers Union of America
GENERAL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
June 22, 2017
EXECUTIVES Jim Anderson – President
Steve Kowolonek – Vice President
Mike Hoffman – Treasurer
DL Wallace – Secretary
DELEGATES Jueisha Boykin
The Meeting was called to order by President Anderson.
The Pledge of Allegiance occurred.
A moment of Silence was observed for deceased members.
Roll Call was taken by Treasurer Hoffman. Delegate Boykin – Absent. All other board members present.
The previous month’s minutes were presented by Secretary Wallace. Treasure Hoffman made a motion to accept the previous month’s minutes. Second by Delegate King. Motion passed.
The Financial Report was given by Treasurer Hoffman. A motion to accept the Financial Report was made by Vice-President Kowolonek. Second by Delegate Long. Motion passed. (Financial Report on file at Union Office.)
AFL- CIO – Labor Day Picnic - September 4, 2017 at Coney Island, cost $5.00 Adults and $1.00 per car load for children. See more information posted on the union boards in your work area.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS – President Anderson
IUU 80th Year Celebration – (Discussion) President Anderson made contact with UWUA regarding possible vendors used to purchase items for celebration for price comparison. Pricing by vendors was higher that local vendors for same items. Local 600 will purchase umbrellas and beach towels for membership. President Anderson will review the quality of the material for beach towels. The items purchased will bear Local 600 emblem, IUU 80th Year and date.
Motion to purchase beach towel for IUU 80th Celebration made by Delegate Waller. Second by Secretary Wallace. (Discussion) Vice-President Kowolonek would like Local 600 to purchase both the beach towel and umbrella for the membership.
Motion to purchase both the beach towel and umbrella was made by Delegate Waller. Second by Treasure Hoffman. Motion passed.
Local 600 Annual Picnic – The event will be held on Friday, September 22, 2017 – from 4pm-9pm at the Pioneer Park, in Covington Kentucky (off I-275 and KY 17.) All prizes must have a list provided to file at union hall that lists: item, member’s name (legible) and signature. The vendor for food will be same vendors used for 2016 Annual picnic.
Motion to have Local 600 Annual Picnic, (per date and location), made by Secretary Wallace. Second by Delegate King. Motion passed.
· Arbitration – Meter Reading - agreements reach prior to arbitration, on June 22, 2017.
· Attorney Julie Ford has submitted briefs and is awaiting a decision from Arbitrators – (Work Force Management)
· Meter Reading – grievance pending 3rd stage results
· Local 600 work being processed by other unions- pending grievance to 3rd stage (awaiting answer from Labor Relations and discussion )
· Discussion regarding dues issues and collections for new hires. Representatives and Delegates are to notify Vice-President Kowolonek for all new hires in your work area to ensure paperwork is submitted.
· Board member who plan to attend the UWUA 2017 Power for America Conference , October 18-20, 2017 in Las Vegas Nevada, must notify President Anderson and complete information sheet by Friday, June 30, 2017 (as he must submit information to UWUA.)
· NEW BUSINESS –
· Discussion to sell Spectra/ Enbridge stock, due to issues with companies and multiple changes in company. Stocks would be liquidated with funds being placed in Local 600 checking, to be later re-invested into other stock options (at the advice of Local 600 accountants/financial planners.) Motion made to sell and liquidate Spectra/Enbridge Stock and place into Local 600 checking account (to re-invest with current stock options) by Vice-President Kowolonek. Second by Delegate Memering. Motion passed.
· Call Center – Vice President Kowolonek and Delegate King attended a meeting to discuss the 3rd Quarter Call Center Incentives. Discussed changes to current structure (adjustments made for attendance); represented members can receive incentives up to $950.00 per quarter. Discussion will continue with call center management and Local 600 leadership.
· Vice President Kowolonek - Discussed many job titles being changed by management without Local 600 being informed. All Local 600 Representatives and Delegates must contact and copy President Anderson regarding any issues you are working on at the union hall.
· Secretary Wallace – Update regarding By-Laws committee. Vice-President Kowolonek will re-visit and schedule committee meeting to discuss and review updates.
· Delegate Memering - 1st stage grievance filing regarding in GIS - no response from management.
· Delegate Loerich - Concerns regarding automation in Meter Reading. Delegate Loerich will schedule a meeting with management to discuss (per President Anderson.)
· Delegate King – Call Center concerns – regarding response time to Local 600 members when vacation or flex time requests are made. Additional concerns regarding (Volunteer list and Draft list) for holiday schedules in the Call Center) and the 12 month period that is utilized to schedule and make up the personnel roster. Delegate King will review prior processes used and obtain additional information from management (per President Anderson.)
· Delegate Long – Questions regarding possibilities of flex time being used in other work areas. Job shadowing opportunities for all positions (is this information/knowledge made available.)
Delegate Waller made a motion to adjourn. Second by Delegate Long. Motion passed. Adjourned.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.